Sustainable Development Goals - the role of investors
The 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), also known as the Global Goals, are outlined in the UN document Transforming Our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and were adopted by 193 of countries at the UN Sustainable Development Summit in September 2015. The Goals cover a wide range of social, environmental and economic targets for global sustainable development and tackle some of the most serious issues facing both people and the planet. Action by non-state actors, particularly those with significant resources and an ability to focus on the medium and longer-term, will be critical to meeting the Goals.
The objectives of this session are to:
- present how institutional investors all over the world are beginning to interact with the SDGs and paint an early picture of investors’ engagement with these Goals, and their plans for the future;
- identify barriers investors face to supporting the Sustainable Development Goals, and provide recommendations for how these could be overcome;
- learn from a concrete example from a company leading in the integration of the Goal in their business strategy and operations;
- learn from a global pension fund how to take into consideration the content of the Goals in capital allocation, active ownership and dialogue with policy makers;
- present the potential role of the PRI to raise awareness of the Goals, promote actions and foster better reporting by institutional investors.
- Results of ShareAction report on investors’ awareness of the Goals
- The role of companies: how the Goals can be integrated into business models
- The role of investors: how the content of the Goals can be integrated in active ownership and capital allocation
- The role of the PRI: can the Goals be considered a global roadmap for economic development all investors should aspire to?
- Anne Stausboll – Chief Executive Officer, CalPERS
- Catherine Howarth – Chief Executive Officer, ShareAction
- Nathan Fabian – Director of Policy & Research, PRI
- Stefan Mard – Head of Sustainability Innovation, Novozymes
Moderated by Valeria Piani, Associate Director, ESG Engagements, PRI.
Please contact Ben Pincombe if you have any questions.